The more I speak with women who are feeling stretched on every level, the more I hear they feel they do not laugh very often. Not just the belly laugh that literally has us gasping for air, but a laugh of any sort. Laughing is important on so many levels and really may be the best medicine.
Here is the low down on laughter;
Did you know laughter provides a workout to tighten your stomach and strengthen your heart? Regular laughing can boost your immune system!
When we have a good giggle, we actually ignite a chemical reaction.“Laughter causes the brain to increase mood-elevating endorphins while decreasing stress hormones,” Laughter relaxes the whole body relieving tension for up to 45 minutes!
What’s not to laugh about!
Here’s how to start laughing again …
- Try to add 15 minutes to your day where you can do something like watch a comedy segment or look at humorous photos online. Try to schedule this right after the most stressful part of your day if you can.
- Who cares what you sound like! You are who you are. Be yourself. Things like your laugh are things that make you who you are.
- Make time for a laugh date. Friends really are the best for a good laugh. You feel more comfortable when there’s someone to laugh with and share all your inside jokes.
- Remember when you were a child, and everything was a game? What happened to that? Make fun, be silly, release reservations. Have a costume party, play games like Apples to Apples, or re-enact silly ideas from the internet. Memories like that will last forever.
- Make sure you do something you enjoy each day. You’re probably a busy person but learning to take time out for yourself and spend time just being yourself will lighten your mood significantly. Then you are ready to laugh. Ambition and work are good things, but in moderation, so learn to temper your goal-making and your competitiveness with a willingness to laugh at yourself and enjoy your life. Need some help? Let’s play a game.
Doodle this cat’s new adventure, I am sure it will bring you giggles! Want to try? Download this template and enjoy where it takes you. No matter how ridiculous this looks, I would love you to post your cat on Instagram or Facebook and bring laughter to others as well. Be sure to add #doodlecat
“We don’t laugh because we’re happy — we’re happy because we laugh.” William James
By the way, if you are looking for guided doodling activities, check out the Creative Mind. Happy Soul Journal HERE